Patient Family Engagement(PFE) is defined by the Institute of Medicine as “providing care that is respectful of and responsive to, individual patient preferences, needs, and values; and ensuring that patient values guide all clinic decisions.” Nationally, hospitals, clinics and other healthcare settings strive to operationalize this concept in an effort to provide safer, more compassionate and patient-centered care. While these efforts are not uncommon, they are challenging to implement, especially in the face of many competing priorities.
The North Carolina Quality Center is the only organization within a Hospital Association that has a full-time team dedicated to supporting hospitals and other healthcare settings in their efforts to operationalize PFE across an entire state. It is the hope of the NCQC that the support offered through customized programs will allow North Carolina to become a national leader in effectively incorporating PFE in order to improve safety, quality and patient satisfaction across the state. The following resources have been gathered to help support healthcare providers meet the expectations of offering patient-centered care that effectively engages the patient, their families and caregivers.
To see a full listing of the services offered by the PFE Team, please click here
NCQC Patient & Family Advisory Council Information
The leadership of the North Carolina Quality Center (NCQC) and the NC Hospital Association recognizes the importance and added value offered by the voice of patients, their family and caregivers. The NCQC Patient & Family Advisory Council was begun in 2015, and continues to support the work of the Quality Center and Hospital association by giving the Patient Family perspective to our work.
A New PFE Webinar Series
PFA Skills Development Collaborative
A webinar series for Patient and Family Advisors with Tiffany Christensen, Allison Chrestensen and the NCHA PFAC. This Skills Development Collaborative provides PFAs with solid foundational skills to improve their effectiveness. Series includes:
- Innovative best practices PFAs can share within their organizations
- Opportunities to collaborative with PFA peers across the country
- “Deep Dives” into specific skill sets such as Storytelling, Peer Rounding and working on Quality Improvement Teams
12-Week Series every Monday, starting September 11, 2017 -> November 27, 2017
Whether in North Carolina or across the country, Healthcare organizations are recognizing the importance of using story to improve safety, build a more Patient-family-centered culture and reconnect to the patient/family experience.
North Carolina is a unique state that has many hospitals and health systems that have embraced the expertise of patient and family advisors in Patient Family Advisory Councils, in quality improvement and through stories.
Click here for more information on the NC Speaker’s Bureau
Wisdom From a PFE Change Agent
One of the greatest minds and biggest hearts in the patient family engagement movement is this woman, Celeste Castillo Lee.
Please share this podcast so that those who work in healthcare and those who receive healthcare can learn from this deeply wise and compassionate woman.
Thank you to UNC for capturing this wisdom and thank you to Celeste and her husband for making the effort to share it!
Click Here to View the Podcast
- Co-Designing Healthcare: Patients in Partnership with Care Providers - May 25, 2017, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 1 - Sep 11, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 2 - Sep 18, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 3 - Sep 25, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 4 - Oct 2, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 5 - Oct 9, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 6 - Oct 16, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 7 - Oct 23, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 8 - Oct 30, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- PFA Skills Development Collaborative - Webinar 9 - Nov 6, 2017, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Performance Improvement Specialist
Sarah Roberts, PMP